MNsure Enrollment Information

MNsure Enrollment Information

What is MNsure?

MNsure is a marketplace where Minnesotans can find, compare, choose and get quality health care coverage that best fits their needs and budget. MNsure is for you, whether you currently buy health coverage on your own or you are uninsured. MNsure is the one place to find out if you qualify for a low cost or free plan.

Who can use MNsure?

MNsure is a great option for any Minnesota resident or family who is uninsured, self-employed, or whose employer does not offer affordable health insurance.

How do you benefit?

  • All plans under MNsure cover mental health and substance use disorder treatment and must follow mental health parity laws.
  • No exclusions or waiting periods for individuals with pre-existing health conditions.
  • You only need to fill out one application for you and your family for all coverage options in MNsure.
  • Medical Assistance has expanded and MinnesotaCare has changed. People can be eligible for Medical Assistance based on income, not just based on having a disability. Also, with MinnesotaCare, there are no longer hospital limits or asset limits, and you no longer have to be without insurance for 4 months to qualify.

When do you apply?

Open Enrollment goes from November 15, 2014 through February 15, 2015. However, there are also Special Enrollment Periods, and individuals and families who are eligible for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare can apply at any time throughout the year. American-Indians from federally recognized tribes can enroll at any time as well.

Outside of Open Enrollment, you or your family may be open for a special enrollment period (SEP). A SEP is a period time of time during which an individual can enroll in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) or change enrollment in a QHP if you have a qualifying life event. Generally, the SEP begins on the date the qualifying event took place and ends 60 days later.

Life events that may qualify an individual for a special enrollment period include:

  • Marriage
  • Adoption, foster care or birth of a child
  • Gain of citizenship, national or lawfully present status
  • Permanent address change which provides new Qualified Health Plan choices
  • Enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe
  • Graduating from college without health insurance

Can I get help with enrollment?

MACMH is partnering with NAMI Minnesota to get health insurance information to people with mental illnesses. NAMI Minnesota has navigators who can help you or your family enroll in health plans through MNsure. For more information or to talk to a navigator, contact NAMI Minnesota at 651-645-2948, ext. 117.

To find out more about MNsure, go to

Leave a Reply